Monday, November 20, 2006

Addition to the Family

She's beautiful. Tiny, and fragile, but already showing signs of personality that just make her that much more adorable. Her big brown eyes take in the world around her as she explores her new home; she's very curious and just won't hold still. Saturday night I carefully held her while Scott fixed up her little bed 3 or 4 times over, fretting over it until it was just perfect. She seems to like it. Even though she hasn't woken me up in the middle of the night yet, every time I get out of bed I feel the need to go check on her, just to make sure she's okay. She always is.

What I really wanted was a dog, but Scott and I have neither the money, nor the space, nor the time to care for one. So, for now, I'm settling for a dwarf hamster. Eleanor is her name; Scott and I agreed to never name our pets things like Scampers or Spot or Fluffball. Though, I have to say, Fluffball would be an accurate description. Eleanor is only around 3 inches long (dwarf hamsters grow to be about 4), but she looks fat because of all her fur - particularly when she's standing on her hind legs and eating. I sometimes call her Fatso. I don't think she minds.

Eleanor is sleeping right now, but this evening sometime I'll be sure to take pictures of her and post them. I'm ecstatic - I now have both a husband AND a hamster to care for!

3 comments:

Audrey Michal said...

My but you're weird. I love you!

Julie said...

Oh, jealousy!

Anonymous said...

I got to meet her and she's so cute!!!!