Monday, January 03, 2011

THAT Hymn

Besides the craziness of a new schedule, losing half of my nursery children to Primary, and several people still being on vacation (meaning we're 'short-staffed'), there is another reason I dislike the first Sunday of January.

Hymn #215.

It's called "Ring Out, Wild Bells", and is the go-to New Year's hymn every year. And I hate it. One of the best (and when I say "best" I actually mean "worst") lines is: "The old year is dying, let him die. The old year is dying, let him die." How depressing is that? Although I love singing hymns, there are a few pretty bad songs in the book. But #215 takes the cake as my least favourite. Easy.

At least I won't have to sing it again for 364 days. Not that I'm counting or anything.

4 comments:

Audrey Michal said...

I hate that hymn too!

Jenete said...

I don't know if I hate that hymn but I must say it always paints a pretty picture. The part about the old year dying I just invision 2010 bleeding on the ground and I am just supposed to let it die. I just wish I could do something like get the poor year a drink or something! It's never a fast death sometimes the wild bells ringing signal blood hounds who come and rip 2010 to shreds or maybe even wild hyenas with their cackles and laughter. A great picture to have in your mind at church don't you think;)

I did a double take on the BYC but figured you meant NYC...those keys are close together. Anytime you guys want to come visit you are more than welcome. We are also having Albrecht withdrawals;)

T said...

No kidding. So I'm NOT supposed to be the Good Samaritan? Rather, I'm supposed to just let the old year lie on the ground in agony??? Great.

If I'm ever called to be the ward chorister, I'm going to specifically NOT choose that hymn the first Sunday in January. And I bet the congregation won't know what to do with themselves...!

T said...

Just to clarify - and Audrey, this is mostly for you - I chose to use "themselves" instead of "itself" with the noun "congregation" because I'm imagining the look on the faces of each individual member of the congregation. So it's appropriate.

Just to be clear.