Monday, April 17, 2006

Peanut Butter and Cheese

Yesterday afternoon I stood with Scott in the kitchen, dying Easter eggs, when Audrey came out from her room looking bleary-eyed. "Hey, Tarythe, when Heather and Nora get here, just send them back to my room, okay? I'm going to lie back down on my bed." I replied that I would, and informed Audrey that there was a surprise waiting in the fridge for her. She at first looked confused, and then realized that I was speaking of the peanut butter and cheese sandwich (meaning two pieces of cheese with peanut butter in between them) that I had made for her earlier that afternoon. When I had taken the delectable to her bedroom for her to eat, I'd found her attempting a mid-afternoon nap so I promised to leave it in refrigerator for her to have later. Now, as she read the "DON'T TOUCH" sign I had labeled the sandwich with, she laughed and unwrapped the 5 or so layers of saran wrap that protected her treat from knaves.

It wasn't until a full 5 minutes after Audrey wandered back into her room to wait for her sisters to arrive that I realized the implications of her origingal request. I turned to Scott and asked, "Wait, did she say HEATHER and Nora? Heather lives in New York!" Scott affirmed that I had indeed heard Audrey correctly, and I stood there with a confused look on my face. Just then Nora and another woman (who I correctly assumed was Heather) wandered around the corner, looking for their sister. They found her in the hallway, and after a round of hugs the three traipsed into Audrey's bedroom to chat. I followed them shortly afterward, so I could meet Heather and to say hello to Nora, whom I hadn't seen for a week or so. The three looked so happy to see each other again. It was a wonderful surprise to finally meet Audrey's sister Heather, whom I had heard so much about and whose writing I kept up-to-date on. As I stood next to Audrey's bed where Heather and Nora perched, I noticed the similarities and differences between the three girls, both in appearance and personality. I have now officially met all of Audrey's immediate family save her mother...perhaps the summer will remedy that.

No comments: