Friday, April 27, 2007

Going hungry

Normally, I don't have a weak stomach. I have heard many a repulsive topic discussed at the dinner table and not flinched. I grew up with my father's friends, after all. I suppose I pride myself on this somewhat - I enjoy my qualities that make me less than 100% girl. But right now my stomach is churning and I don't think I can eat anything, though my belly is also growling for want of food.

I have few problems with bugs, snakes and spiders - as long as they stay out of my house. The exception is cockroaches. Unfortunately for me, they thrive in DC - especially in apartment buildings like mine - and at first I would gasp and freeze every time I saw one in my kitchen. Scott would come to my rescue as I squealed and closed my eyes (not some of my prouder moments). I grew used to seeing them, though, often more than one at a time and of greatly varying sizes. I became ferocious in my attempt to eliminate every bug that I saw, setting out homemade traps (none of which have worked so far, but I'm not done trying) and squishing every visible insect with great zeal. I'm pretty sure I growled sometimes too.

This morning didn't start out being the best morning ever, but it was decent. I got my Nutrition homework finished, emptied the shower water with a bucket (our bathtub won't drain), and went to get breakfast. I was really excited to eat my bowl of Frosted Flakes and banana. I picked up the bag of cereal and emptied some of the contents into my bowl, which I then picked up. Before I could even get the milk out of the refrigerator, 2 cockroaches came crawling out of my cereal bowl!!! I screamed and dropped the bowl on the floor, spilling cereal and more cockroaches all over the floor. I think there were about 8 of them. After a couple of minutes of panting in the corner, afraid to move, I cleaned up the cereal off the floor and threw the rest of the bag away - but I refuse to go back into the kitchen.

I also don't think I'll be eating anything soon.

4 comments:

April said...

EWWWWW!!! Yucky, yucky!!! Well, I'm glad we were eating rice krisy treats yesterday and not frosted flakes treats. It reminds me of a morning a few years back when I poured my Cheerios and out came hundreds of ants....not to make your stomach even worse. Love ya!

Audrey Michal said...

bugs for breakfast! It's the worst, I know. Hun, I'm so sorry.

Julie said...

SEE!!! sometimes gasping and/or screams are necessary. somehow I feel my fear of spiders justified. roaches are gross but don't frighten me. a word from the wise: never, never, ever, ever, never-ever sleep with your mouth open.

Emilie said...

That's so nasty!!!!! I'm scared to move to DC now! :) I'm so sorry Tarythe. That would certainly ruin my eating habits as well.