Sunday, August 03, 2008

I had to make sure

I'm in Utah visiting family - and that always means an adventure! Two of my sisters-in-law, their 5 children, my father-in-law, and I went hiking yesterday morning. The views were beautiful and the trail was easy (except for the side trail we took which ended up being a very steep dirt-and-rock-slide). On the way back to the car, I was holding Taylor's hand and Porter was walking behind us, picking up little rocks and acting like he was going to throw them at Taylor. This made Taylor very nervous (he's a somewhat anxious child anyway), and when Porter began walking beside us Taylor reached over and slugged him on the shoulder. Porter responded with a punch of his own, followed immediately by a second one. Taylor began to cry. "But that's not fair!" he whined. "I only hit you once! You punched me twice! You can't do that!"

Porter responded, very matter-of-factly, "Well, I punched you the first time but I didn't think it really hurt. So I punched you again to make sure it hurt."

To which Taylor responded by punching Porter on the arm, just to make things even.

Oh, those boys. They love each other, really.

1 comment:

Christina said...

That is so little boys!!! Girls are more emotional.