Sunday, September 21, 2008

Learning a New Skill

I don't draw. Like, really, I don't draw. I took an art class in the 6th? 8th? grade, but other than that I draw only stick figures. I need a compass to get a decent circle, and a ruler unless I want my straight line to look like a sine wave. My sister is an absolutely AMAZING artist (I think she's as good as Audrey, and that's saying something!), but I certainly didn't inherit any artistic genes from her. And for all the time we spent together as kids (even sharing a bedroom most of my childhood), none of her talent rubbed off on me. I didn't get her singing voice either...*sigh*

But now I have to learn to draw, though I've been scared of it for years. I'm too much of a perfectionist to learn something as difficult as drawing - I don't like having to erase things and start over. I want it to be right the first time! But I'm in a lighting design class, and we're exploring the way light hits certain objects and where the shadows fall. In other words, value range. We've been drawing with charcoal - both black on white and white on black (I think the second is harder). I'm embarrassed to show my first class assignment, but here's the second one. I'm mostly pleased with it, and I should be - I spent 12 hours trying to get it right. I finally just had to say enough is enough! This wasn't even an officially graded assignment - I don't want to think about how long it will take me to do my final project!!!

7 comments:

Chicken Dust said...

For what it's worth, I think it's lovely.

Audrey Michal said...

Wow. Ummm, yeah, I'm not posting my drawings now. I can still brag, however, to having more vanity and pride than you.

Debi Lynn said...

I think it's amazing. I can't draw either so I know how tough it can be, but you really did an amazing job! Be proud!

Christina said...

That is amazing!!! Truly its lovely, I'm so impressed!!! NEVER STOP LEARNING!!!!

Emilie Gardner said...

WOW!!! That's awesome!

Kristen Parnell said...

That looks great! I wish I could draw. Nice work.

Torrey Jayne said...

You should NOT be ashamed of your drawing skills... because, let's face it, YOU'VE GOT TALENT!