Friday, March 31, 2006

My Evening Constitutional

I took a walk last night. Out of the Riviera, up towards the stadium, past the gas station and Dairy Queen, around and around the parking lot. I was restless. I called to Julie, as I walked out of our room at 12:30 or so, that I was going to go walking and that if I wasn't back in an hour I had probably died. I didn't die, and was back within the hour.

I haven't walked alone at night in awhile; only once or twice this semester I believe. It used to be a regular occurence, and I've had Audrey not speak to me for hours on a couple of occasions because despite her specifically forbidding me to, I walked anyway. Ted has joined me on a couple of my rounds, and when he did so we would walk in complete silence for most of the way as he was there not to talk, but just to ensure that I got back home safely. My walks were partly because I had nothing else to do in the middle of the night, and partly because I needed to get out; the fresh air was calming and the silence of the night was peaceful. The empty streets offered me freedom to roam as I pleased, and though I felt as though the rest of my life was out of my control, there was one thing I knew I had the power to do. I walked at night simply because I could. Unfortunately, my middle-of-the-night ambles affected not only myself. A friend of mine, innocent, one with little to no real life experience, followed my example last summer and took her own stroll after midnight - ending up halfway across town. I told myself that I wouldn't walk so often again - not for my own sake, but because my decisions affect others as well.

But last night, again, I felt powerless. Overwhelmed, and helpless, and unsure of what to do to ease my frustrations. So I fell back to what I knew, and I walked. I walked with tears streaming down my face until I could hardly see in which direction I was heading. I walked in a state of dizziness and surprisingly enough, only collapsed a couple of times. Stupid narcotics. I didn't know where I was going or how long I would be gone, I just needed to walk. So I did.

No comments: