Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Roommate CVs

28 September 2005
I adore my roommates. Everyone that knows me knows this, as I’m sure to tell them often. Garrett commented one time, “You really like your roommates, don’t you?” “Uh-huh!,” was my quick and merry response. Charlie thought it useful to describe his flat mates to me properly, so I would have an idea of who he was talking about when he mentioned them. He then proceeded to ask about mine: “And there you go, your turn! All I got so far is Audrey, gets ill, pissed off that you hug her lots...!?” (Both not true) So I replied with a full discourse on each of them, which Charlie was sure to take the mick out of… “Sounds like a cv!” he said. “But I would hire them on the spot!” Well, honestly, I tend to write more formally than I speak. Resume-sounding or no, these were my observations about my roommates:

I’ve known Audrey for a little over a year and a half now (a year and 10 months, I think?); the longest of all my roommates. We weren’t friends right away – we both hung out at the same apartment, but didn’t speak to each other much – in a group yes, or as part of a collective conversation, but not one-on-one. It wasn’t until she went home last summer that I realized I actually missed having her around. Undoubtedly the most intelligent of my roommates (book-wise), she was previously a History major but has changed degrees to Anthropology. We’ll see how long that one sticks. She has an impressive command of the English language and is very quick with her words - sometimes harshly so. Very sarcastic - she can slice through any verbal attack or insult with exactness, often leaving no room for any sort of rejoinder. I practically worship her verbal abilities. She has also perfected the “blank stare”, which she uses on people when she doesn’t think they deserve any sort of response or display of sentiment. It’s incredibly unnerving to those who can’t see past it; they automatically assume she hates them. Harshness aside though, Audrey can be very kind and thoughtful, and is loyal to those upon whom she bestows the title “friend” (she doesn’t give out that name lightly – most people earn only “positive acquaintance”). With those she has just met she is guarded and often skeptical, quietly observing the antics of others and occasionally cutting in with a sardonic remark, but among her friends she is not only amiable but high-spirited. One of my favourite things about Audrey is that she and I can hold entire conversations in movie quotes – she’s great fun and I love her to death.

Emilie is the eldest in the apartment. If I had to describe her in one word it would be elegant. Her vintage beauty is evident in her full curves, piercing eyes and long, thick brown hair. Her voice is pleasant; soft. She is compassionate, humble, and sweet – yet at the same time she gives off an air of quiet confidence that leaves everyone awed. She works hard and is diligent in her studies – we don’t see as much of her as we would like to because she spends a great deal of time at the library buried in her books. Emilie contemplates most everything she says and does – thus far I haven’t seen her make a rash decision. She’s very sensitive and emotional, and in being so she is sensitive to the emotions of others. She is a music student and a dancer.

Emilie’s sister Caitlin is a doll, constantly serving others and generous to a fault. The two sisters should have a contest to see who is the nicest; only, the game would be rigged because one would surely let the other win. (This last sentence was stolen from Audrey.) Their altruistic nature is something to be emulated. Caitlin is cute, energetic, and her laughter is contagious. Caitlin is a dancer and a talented one at that – the whole reason she came to this uni was to join the Ballroom Team. Like her sister she has a passion for life, and throws herself completely into everything that she does. She’s bubbly but not annoyingly so – rather, her spirited personality is endearing and leaves most every male that comes round gaping after her. (I suppose it’s only /partly/ her personality that leaves them gaping…)

Julie, who I share a room with, has been my roommate for a year now. Like me she moved into the apartment her first year out here, skipping the halls experience. I’m very fond of her. My Jules is the most random person I know – sometimes beyond the point of decorum - but it is usually entertaining. She has very little sense of tact; audacious as well as spontaneous, she is a good person to have around. We often make use of her intrepidity to do our “dirty work” – if there’s something that needs to be said or asked or done, but we’re too afraid to do it ourselves, we send Julie – and stand back to watch. Julie is extremely talented, and very outgoing – a definite socialite. Her hobbies range from sewing to remote control cars, and her taste in music from classical to hip-hop. Her mum is Venezuelan, and she loves to make the ethnic food she was brought up with. One of her favourite pastimes is scaring the wits out of people – she often waits for me to come home just so she can pounce when I open the door. A very Hobbes-like character. Julie is a crusader of sorts, a champion of the under-dog and the first to try and “right the injustices of the world”. Julie and I have, on more than one occasion, written letters to the president of the university and to the editor of the newspaper, started petitions, and raised issues for debate in an attempt to voice our opinions. Well, okay, so honestly it was mostly Julie. She is absolutely determined in everything that she puts her mind to – once she gets an idea in her head, good luck trying to persuade her otherwise. She’s logical, practical, and a problem-solver; her favourite subjects in school are math and science, and she wants to be a high-school physics teacher.

Then there is Cassidy, the youngest but definitely not the least favourite. Her quirkiness is endearing, as is her sense of humour. She is self-proclaimedly an inept writer, but she speaks well – quick to say funny things which inevitably get added to our quote wall in the kitchen. If there’s one thing that Cassidy has an abundance of, it’s spunk. She never fails to make me laugh – I relate to her sarcastic humour and see myself in a lot of what she does and says. We often have mock fights, which invariably end with the two of us in peals of laughter because one of us has come out with something witty - albeit somewhat cruel - and we just can’t keep a straight face any longer. Cassidy has a kind soul and is very loving, always ready to dole out hugs – of which I demand quite a few. She, like Julie, shares my love of dancing – we can often be found in our apartment with the music blasting while we “bust a few moves”. Also like Julie, she is a socialite, quick to make new friends and kept busy hanging out with old ones. Cassidy is very smart, and a logical thinker - she wants to teach math after she graduates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Tarythe. That was insightful, eloquent, and well-edited. And if you spent no time editing, that only adds to the magnitude of the achievement. I can't confirm the veracity of your descriptions of your roommates, but if this is fiction, it is beautifully crafted fiction.

Well done. I award you 35 points.