Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Politically Correct

I must say, the extent that people will go to be politically correct these days astounds me. Why must we be so careful so as to not offend anyone? It is more likely we will be offensive (or just plain obnoxious) by tiptoeing around a statement too carefully. Consider the following politically correct statement (from my Geography 120 syllabus) that could easily be misinterpreted at least 3 different ways:

"Freshmen/women: I would like to meet with you during January for a moment or two to get to know you. Please come by my office at your convenience." -Dr. Ken Richardson*

Do you see the problem here? I admit, I was initially worried, but soon realized what was actually meant and laughed aloud at the misunderstanding. At least it provided some good entertainment at the end of a long day...

*Names have been changed to protect the idiotic

1 comment:

Chicken Dust said...

Wow! That's good. And at BYU no less. *shakes head*