Sunday, September 17, 2006

A Stewardship

I went to church today and sat in with the Primary class that I'm supposed to take over teaching in a couple of weeks. The class is small; it consists of 2 regulars, and 1 child that comes every other week. We represent a fifth of the whole Primary - which is about 15 kids. (Supposedly we have more, but many are inactive.) 15 kids is a pretty small Primary, but in my last church ward the Primary in its entirety was 3 children large. So this is a step up. :) The current teacher hasn't been with the class for long, but her husband is being stationed in Japan in a few weeks and so Nina is moving, leaving the class leaderless. In comes Sister Albrecht to save the day.

The only girl in my class (I'm calling her Amanda) was very clingy today. Nina assigned us to groups for our skit activity, in which we acted out the story of Elijah and the false priests of Baal from 1 Kings. I played the 450 priests of Baal (now that's talent). The boys insisted on being in their own group, so Amanda and I were together. Amanda's face lit up. She did nothing without talking to me first, and begged to sit by me for the rest of church. It was as though I was the best friend she needed so badly. I've discovered that Amanda's situation is very similar to what mine was at her age. I feel that she is fragile but covers it up. I've been given a stewardship over these children and I'm teaching this class for a reason. I know there's something I'm supposed to do for this girl, but I'm not sure what. I'm terrified that I will mess up and miss the chance to make a difference in her life. I can only hope that I'm worthy of this assignment.

But I needn't be so worried; the Lord will guide me. He promised.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Very touching. I love it. I'm sure you are going to change the world one person at a time, either that or find a person to change the world for. Since you've already married Scott i would guess the former. Just trust in the Lord and do what you feel is sure and right.

Emilie said...

Tarythe, that's your cup of tea! You are great with children. The Lord knows what He is doing. You are awesome...