Saturday, November 05, 2005

She Couldn't Be Reached for Comment

I think I'll talk about something exhilarating. Mobile phones? Sure. I thought, when I decided to buy one, that I would love it. And I do - it's nice to know that if someone needs me they can reach me, and that I have a way to ring someone and ask a quick question or tweak plans for later. I also get super-excited when my phone starts to ring; it makes me think, "Hooray! Someone loves me!" Cell phones are wonderful that way. Not to mention the fact that they're a portable phone book and alarm clock. To me, an alarm clock I can take with me everywhere means that I can take naps; during the day, while I'm on campus - without worrying about not waking up for my next class.

Now on to a less-than-exhilarating topic. Mobile phones. Yes, they qualify again. I have to say that although having a mobile is great, I've started to become slightly annoyed with it and the expectations that people have of me to be constantly accessible. If I'm not, I get asked, "Hey, why didn't you answer your phone earlier? I hate it when I can't get a hold of you!" It seems that if someone owns a mobile phone, they must be always ready to dive for it when it rings. Let's be honest, why? There are times that I'm in class, or at work, or in rehearsal, or in a meeting, or at the library, or or or... I have so many things to do other than answer the phone every time it rings.

Last night I recieved a phone call from Todd while I was at work - which I couldn't answer as I was in the middle of chopping red onions, tears streaming down my face. No, nothing was wrong, I just happen to be sensitive to onions. Red ones in particular. A couple of hours later Todd called me again (while I was busy, of course), and although I wasn't specifically ignoring his call, I also wasn't exactly devastated to have missed it. After not answering for the second time that evening, I recieved the following exasperated text: "Arrgh! Is your phone working?"

No, Todd, I threw it off the balcony. So don't call me again.

2 comments:

Chicken Dust said...

Please don't really throw it off the balcony. Then I couldn't call and say "so, Creamery for lunch, huh?"

T said...

Hooray! Lunch at the Creamery! Can I just tell you that that's one of my favourite activities?