Monday, November 14, 2005

A Wink and a Smile

Breathe, T, breathe. Two Gentlemen of Verona is almost over, or at least the main portion of your participation in it. Rehearsals are over, the study guide is printed, the lobby display is up...all that's left to do is go to a couple of Humanities/English classes to do presentations with the cast, and moderate the two remaining talk-back sessions after the Thursday night performances.

Praise Allah for roommates. Last Thursday, I had to run the first talk-back session for the show, and I wasn't sure what I was going to say. The talk-backs are basically a chance for the audience to stay after the performance and have a discussion with the cast/crew, director, and dramaturg (that's me). They can ask questions or make comments, and my job is to instigate the discussion, smile and nod no matter what comments are made, and keep the conversation flowing. Not a difficult job, unless no one has anything to say and I have to say something interesting to fill the silence. Anyway, I was a little bit (well, okay so really) nervous Thursday night - I really wanted the talk-back to go well, the director was there and she's pretty critical - but I needn't have worried. Julie (one of my 5 favourite roommates) stayed after the show and sat in the audience, and it was nice to have a friendly face. While Todd was making faces at me from the 3rd row, a couple rows behind him Julie was just smiling like the sweetheart that she is. Every time I got nervous, I looked up at Julie and she would smile and wink reassuringly, as if to say, "Just breathe - you're doing great." Afterwards, Julie gave me a huge hug - well, a few of them - just what I needed. I love that Julie often knows what to do to calm me down. Bless.

Now I just have to get through the next couple of weeks and I'll be fine...

2 comments:

Chicken Dust said...

Just breathe...you're doing great. And you are!

Emilie said...

You're amazing, girl. Keep up the great work!